Welcome to environmental engineering
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING
Started as an offshoot of Civil Engineering, a humble beginning was made in 1987 as Centre for Environmental Science and Technology (CEST) to promote and start a new programme in Environmental Engineering catering to the needs of the developing society. B.E. (Civil and Environmental Engineering) and M.Tech., (Environmental Engineering) with the financial support from CPHEEO, Ministry of Urban Development , Govt. of India, New Delhi were started under the umbrella of CEST.
In the year 1993, the Govt. of Karnataka has accorded grant-in-aid status to the department and since then the Department of Environmental Engineering is working as a full-fledged academic and research department.
Both Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes of Environmental Engineering have been accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA) of AICTE, New Delhi.
The Department has started a cross disciplinary Masters programme in Health Science and Water Engineering during 2009. This programme is an outcome of an international collaboration with Govt. of France.
The Department has a blend of senior, highly qualified, dynamic and highly motivated faculty who have national and international exposure and expertise in their chosen areas of interest.
The Department is well known in the State as well as in the country for its quality education being offered at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The Alumni of the department have made a niche through their exemplary contributions for the companies they are working for. Most of them have realized their dreams of reaching higher echelons in their chosen career.
The Alumni of the department have also established themselves as highly enterprising Entrepreneurs in the country.
1. To produce highly knowledgeable, efficient and quality Environmental Engineers with a societal commitment and passion to conserve and protect Environment.
2. To use the advanced and ultramodern laboratory facilities to inculcate practical and research culture amongst the budding young Engineers and prepare them to effectively solve the challenging problems related to Environmental Pollution and Control.
3. To establish a healthy & continued relationship with the large Alumni base through their active involvement in the overall development of the department in particular and the Institution in general.
Sl. No. Name of the Programme Year of Starting Duration Affiliation
1. B.E. (Environmental Engineering) Since 1993 4 years (8 Semesters) (Autonomous) Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum
2. M.Tech., (Environmental Engineering) Since 1987 2 years (4 Semesters) Autonomous Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum & Supported by CPHEEO, Ministry of Urban Development, GoI
3. M.Tech. (Health Science & Water Engineering) Since 2009 2 years (4 Semesters) Autonomous Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum
4. M.Sc., (Engg.,) by Research Since 1997 3 years Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum, University of Mysore, Kuvempu University
5. Ph.D. Since 1997 3 years Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum, University of Mysore, Kuvempu University
6. Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Management Since 2010 1 year (2 Semesters) Autonomous
7. Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Law Since 2010 1 year (2 Semesters) Autonomous
CONTINUING EDUCATION PROGRAMMES
Sl. No. Name of the Programme Year of Starting In Association with
1. 3 month Short Term Programme in Environmental Engineering for in-service Engineers from all over India Since 1987 CPHEEO, Ministry of Urban Development, GoI, New Delhi
2. 2 Weeks Refresher Courses (2) Once in a year Since 1987 CPHEEO, Ministry of Urban Development, GoI, New Delhi
3. Tailor Made Training Programmes for industries, govt. organizations and NGOs Any time of the year
4. 2 Weeks Training Programme in Environmental Engineering for In-service Engineers of Karnataka Since 2008
Karnataka Engineering Research Station, Dept. of Irrigation, Govt. of Karnataka
The Department has a blend of senior, highly qualified, dynamic members of the faculty. Most of them have international and national exposure and experience of teaching, research and consultancy. The faculty is highly committed and involved in teaching, applied research and development, industrial consultancy, continuous education programme and non-formal education for the benefit of the students in particular and the society at large. The members of the faculty are also ably supported by the Visiting Faculty.
The Department of Environmental Engineering is one of the departments in the college with excellent laboratory facilities for teaching and carrying out research activities. Many of the labs were developed using the funding by National agencies such as AICTE, MoEF, DST,UGC and TEQIP.
The department has an Advanced Instruments Laboratory where sophisticated equipment such as Inductively Coupled Plasma Emission Spectrometer (ICP) for heavy metals and toxic chemicals analysis, High Performance Liquid Chromatrograph (HPLC) with FIR for pesticides and hazardous chemicals analysis, Gas Chromatograph (GC) for gaseous pollutants analysis, UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, Ion Analyzer and a host of other equipment are available for academic, research and consultancy purposes.
Sl. No. Name of the Laboratory Applications
1. Process Lab UG & PG programmes
2. Analysis Lab UG & PG programmes
3. Advanced Instruments Lab UG,PG,Research & Consultancy
4. DST FIST Research Lab Advanced Research in Environmental Biotechnology (UG, PG & Ph.D.)
5. Research Lab PG and Ph.D., programmes
6. Environmental CADA Lab Computational Applications, UG,PG, Research and Consultancy
7. Environmental Atmospheric Lab UG ,PG and Consultancy
8. Environmental Microbiology Lab Microbial Analysis, UG, PG,Research and Consultancyv
The department has identified the following areas of Research based on the experience and expertise of the members of the Faculty. The Department is one of the leading departments in the college involved intensely in the applied and industrial research. Most of the senior members of the faculty have been recognized as Guides to supervise Ph.D. and M.Sc., (Engg.,) by research programmes.
1. Advanced Water and Wastewater Design and Treatment
2. Pollutant Transport and Environmental Modeling
3. Environmental Biotechnology (Bioremediation)
4. Ecological Sanitation
5. Environmental Impact Assessment
6. WATSAN Management
7. Environmental Economics
8. Indoor Air Pollution
9. Industrial Wastes Management
10. Urban Storm Water Management & Ground water Pollution
Ph.D. & M.Sc., (Engg.) By RESEACH DEGREES
The members of the Faculty are actively involved in guiding and supervising both M.Sc., (Engg.,) by Research and Ph.D., scholars who have registered under various Universities in the state of Karnataka. Few of the Research Scholars are the recipients of Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship offered by UGC, Govt. of India.
Sl. No. Programme Awarded In-progress
1.. M.Sc., (Engg.,) by Research 01 06
2. Ph.D. Degree 08 26
The Department is very actively engaged in carrying out sponsored Research Projects with financial assistance from Govt. of Karnataka, Govt. of India, Industries and other non-governmental organizations. It is the leading department in the college which has bagged highest number of R & D projects from various institutions such as Zilla Panchayat, KSCST, DST, AICTE, DBT, MoEF, MHRD, VTU and a host of other organizations.
These R & D projects have provided opportunity for youngsters to work as Research Associates and Project Fellows. Currently there are 6 Research Associates working in the department in various R & D projects.
The department is engaged in offering its expertise to various industries, governmental and non-governmental organizations in the form of consultancy services. The types of projects undertaken by the members of the faculty range from rural water supply system, urban WATSAN systems, industrial wastewater treatment plants design, water and wastewater quality monitoring, air pollution dispersion studies, water quality modeling studies to design of water distribution system and wastewater collection system.
The department was also involved in one international consultancy project supported by UN through WEDC, University of Loughborough, UK.
So far, the department has completed 35 consultancy projects to a tune of over
The Faculty of the department is proud to have bagged Prestigious International Fellowships which has enhanced their international exposure and experience in the areas of Water Supply and Sanitation (WATSAN) sector and Environmental Pollution Control and Management.
Sl. No. Name of the Faculty Fellowship
1. Dr. K.S. Lokesh Professor & Head Colombo Plan, UN (1999) Mellon Foundation Scholar, USA (2009)
2. Dr. M. Mahadevaswamy Professor, Colombo Plan, UN (2000)
3. Dr. T.H. Udayashankara Professor, Commonwealth Fellowship British Council, UK (2010)
SPONSORED REFRESHER COURSES / WORKSHOPS / SHORT TERM TRAINING PROGRAMMES
The Department of Environmental Engineering has made a record in the college in conducting maximum number of refresher courses, workshops and short term training programmes for various organizations including industries.
Conducting sponsored programmes is a regular part of the department apart from academic and research activities.
The department faculty have been involved in conducting over 200 such programmes so far.
The department is also involved in framing and offering the need based training modules for governmental and industrial organizations.
The Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India, New Delhi had recognized the Department as Southern Regional Training Centre under Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission Programme. Under this, the technical training programmes related to rural water supply and sanitation system were framed and implemented for in-service Engineers from various departments and states across the country.
Sl. No. Type of Training Programme Number of Programmes conducted Total Number of Trained Engineers
1. Refresher Courses 160 4,800
2. Short Term Courses 40 1,200
3. Work shops 20 600
REPRESENTATION ON NATIONAL / STATE LEVEL COMMITTEES
The services and experience of the members of the faculty have been recognized by the governmental organizations by nominating them on several committees which are playing a key role in decision making.
Apart from this, most of the members of the faculty are on various committees of several universities, academic institutions, autonomous colleges, industries and non-governmental organizations.
Sl. No. Name and Designation National State
1. Dr. K.S. Lokesh Professor & Head --- 02
2. Dr. M. Mahadevaswamy Professor 01 01
3. Dr. B. Manoj Kumar Professor --- 01
PLACEMENT & CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Since the area of Environmental Engineering is an inter-disciplinary one and has started getting recognition in India only after globalization, the job and career opportunities are not as good and rosy compared to that of circuit branches.
However, in the recent past, the number of companies visiting the campus for Environmental Engineering students on-campus selection is showing an increasing trend. Many of our students have been selected in the core area with attractive and handsome pay packages.
Such of the alumni who were selected on campus have established themselves well at higher levels in various industries, corporate sector, governmental departments and NGOs.
Several enthusiastic Alumni have become dynamic Entrepreneurs also in the country providing jobs and career opportunities for the young out coming Environmental Engineers.
Dr. K.S. Lokesh
Professor and Head
Department of Environmental Engineering
Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering (Autonomous)
Mysore 570 006
Phone : Office : 0821 2548285, 2548287, 2548288 EXTN 2237
0821 2548294 (Direct)
Fax : 0821 2548290
Email : email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org